Sunday, January 19, 2014

Creamy Garlic Spaghetti Squash

I love taking on challenges every day. I live for it. I love it. So when a few friends wanted to know about spaghetti squash and tasty recipes, I decided to take on the challenge.



First off you may be wondering what in the world is spaghetti squash? Well a quick little biography of the squash is that it is an oblong seed-bearing variety of winter squash. It can range either from ivory to yellow or orange in color. The orange varieties have a higher carotene content. One cup equals only 40 calories!



To prepare this little gem simply use a knife to create a few slashes all around. Place it on a plate, pop it in the microwave for 12 minutes, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and then scrape the 'spaghetti' out with a fork. VOILA!

As previously mentioned above, I love challenges. So I posted a poll and had people vote between three options:

-Creamy Garlic Spaghetti Squash
-Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
-Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese

Let me tell you, it was a nail biter with how close the results were! Creamy Garlic beat out the baked by one single vote! After reviewing the recipe and tweeking it quite a bit, I was off to the store I went to grab all the needed ingredients and I set myself to work.



Creamy Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1 medium spaghetti squash
2 shallots
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 red pepper, chopped
2 handfuls spinach
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
Pinch of salt
1 cup low sodium chicken broth (can use vegetable broth)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped


Directions
-Slash spaghetti squash, place on plate, and microwave for 12 minutes.
-Once finished, cut in half, remove seeds.
-With a fork, scrape out 'spaghetti' and set aside.
-Add oil to a large wok and heat it up.
-Add shallots, onions, red pepper, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Saute for 5 minutes.
-Add spinach to wok. Let it wilt down.
-Add spaghetti squash. Stir.
-Add chicken broth and milk. Stir.
-Add parmesan cheese. Stir until combined.
-Add parsley after heated through and stir until combined.
-Enjoy!


This recipe is so simple to make and is ridiculously low in calories and high in nutrients! A single cup comes to around 100 calories! Cha-ching!!! I love this recipe which has an amazing garlic flavor with a bit of heat due to the red pepper flakes. It has a creamy feel in the mouth due to the almond milk. This recipe is definitely a keeper in my books.



Question of the Day

What is a challenge that you will be participating in soon?

I'm going to run in the Tough Mudder at the end of May! I am beyond ecstatic!


Want more health and fitness tips for FREE?! Sign up at:

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=302442

No comments:

Post a Comment