Thursday, May 31, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome to Fit&FruGirl!

My name is Aly and I am a 22 year old from Cleveland who just graduated from The Ohio State University. My major was Human Nutrition along with a business minor. I love business and I love nutrition so I decided to combine these two together. I have a passion for reading, theatre, food, and exercise and love to incorporate each of these into my daily life!

I am a runner and love being outside and experiencing the world at a faster pace.
I ran distance in high school and then fell into a rut and did not exercise during the first two years of college life. I gained quite a few of those unwanted pounds and decided it was time to improve my lifestyle and become a healthier person.  So I signed up for the Columbus 1/2 Marathon in 2010 to jump start my motivation and from then on my life transformed. After completing the 13.1 miles, I knew that I wanted to do more, to complete something even more challenging. In June 2011, I signed up and began training for the Columbus Full marathon and on October 16, 2011 I completed the 26.2 miles in 4:15:48.

Me after finishing the 2011 Columbus Marathon!

When I’m not hitting the roads, I’m usually in my kitchen trying to think of ways to improve recipes and put a healthier twist to them. I like to think of myself as a vegetarian 95% of the time. I absolutely love vegetables and fruits and have ever since I was a little girl. Whenever a person asked me what my favorite food was, they expected to hear me say cookies or candy, yet I always replied with salad. As my mother always told me, "vegetables are your friends."

Family is another important part of my life. As cliche as it sounds, I do not know where I would be without my family. Over the past few years and a few hard times in my life, I realized how truly important they are. I love my parents with all my heart. My mom is my best friend and my dad is always there for me, even if we do butt heads often.



In Phoenix, AZ with Mom and Dad

I also have an older brother whom I have always looked up to. He is part of the reason why I became so athletic since we were constantly kicking the soccer ball around outside or throwing a baseball back and forth.

At Jason's wedding on 9.10.11

Jason married his longtime girlfriend on September 10, 2011. He and Alli (yes he married someone with the same name as me) are expecting a child at the end of July. I can't wait to meet my little nephew!

Alli and me at her baby shower!


Oh and who could forget Roxie, the 70 lb. lap dog that we rescued in 2010...

She is just too stinkin cute.

To put it simply, I would be lost without my family.
 
As I mentioned before, I am vegetarian 95% of the time, which means that if I want chicken or a burger, I will go out and have it without feeling any guilt. What I have learned over the years is not to deprive oneself of a craving, just to consume in moderation.

Anywho, call me crazy but I absolutely love finding recipes online and constantly thinking of ways to increase its nutritional value. I hope to inspire others that with a few healthy substitutions and changes one can have their cake and enjoy it too.

So welcome to Fit&FruGirl, a blog that helps one to become stronger and healthier while on a budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment