Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mocha Oatmeal

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day


Growing up I must admit that breakfast was not my favorite meal whatsoever. Waking up every morning and having a bowl of whatever cereal was in the house seemed so boring and bland. Breakfast was a dull routine cycle. Now, however, I shudder to think that I actually skipped breakfast periodically.

We have heard over and over again from our parents how important this morning meal is. However, I did not truly understand and come to accept this statement until I started taking my Nutrition courses at Ohio State. I learned that overnight our bodies are going through a fast so when we wake up our blood glucose levels are low. In layman’s terms: we need to replenish the nutrients and energy in our body upon waking.

I started eating a hearty breakfast religiously about a year ago when I wanted to become a healthier person. When I say hearty, I mean I am having about 350-400 calories every morning for breakfast. I have noticed that if I have a small, unsubstantial breakfast that I am ravenous within two hours. My family and friends know that a hungry Aly is not a pleasant one to be around…

I have come to love breakfast so much that as I lie in bed trying to fall asleep at night, I find myself thinking about what I will make myself in the morning. I always have a complete meal that consists of whole grains, dairy, protein, and coffee. The last part is crucial. I must have my Cup of Joe in the morning!

Coffee =

So that being said, one of my favorite morning meals is oatmeal. But not just any ordinary, run of the mill type. I love creating oatmeal masterpieces. Old Fashioned Oats are where it’s at people! I love eating my oatmeal with either a whole grain bagel or low fat yogurt topped with fresh berries. And what can be better than combining oatmeal with two of the best wonders of the world: chocolate and coffee.

Mocha Oatmeal:
½ cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup water
1 ½ tsp instant coffee
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Splenda packet

The ingredients!

Directions
-In a small pot, bring the liquid and instant coffee to a boil.
-Add the oats, give it a quick stir, and reduce the heat to low.
-After 2 minutes add the vanilla and cocoa powder. Stir.
-Cook 3 more minutes and right before transferring the oatmeal to a bowl, stir in the Splenda.

Sprinkling with mini semi-sweet morsels is a must!

Enjoy!


Want more health and fitness tips for FREE?! Sign up at:

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=302442


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up with us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete