Sunday, June 2, 2013

Flexitarian

Do you eat a mostly vegetarian diet but occasionally consume meat? Well, then you are just like me and follow a flexitarian or semi-vegetarian diet. Whether it is for health reasons or environmental issues, following this eating regimen is extremely beneficial.


The benefits of following this way of life are endless. Not only will you save money in the long run since meat tends to be more expensive on the grocery bill, but studies have shown that while eating a plant-based diet one can live an average of 3.5 years longer and weigh approximately 15% less than those who eat meat more regularly. Thinking of switching to this way of eating due to environmental issues? Eating an earth-friendly diet can be a way to reduce greenhouse gases. Even following the Meatless Mondays trend can help reduce our carbon footprint!


Now, I did not even realize that I was a flexi until a few months ago. The epiphany occurred when I was talking with a friend and she was talking about it. She was describing me to the tee! Over the past year I have cut out red meat from my diet drastically. I honestly may only consume it a handful of times per year. I just do not crave it anymore. And lately, I cannot fathom eating these animals for environmental issues. I care about those creatures!

Veggies are our friends.

I would not doubt for a second that I will eventually become a full blown vegetarian over the next few years. It is a personal choice and I will never criticize those that eat carnivorously. They choose their own way of living and that is completely fine by me.

Now all this veggie talk has made me hungry! Time to whip up some of my Aunt Sandie's yummy garlic vegetables!

Garlic Vegetable Medley
2 medium sized red potatoes, cut into chunks
2 medium sized carrots, sliced about ¼ inch thick
1 zucchini, sliced about ¼ inch thick
1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
½ white onion cut into ½-1 inch pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Cooking spray


The ingredients!

Directions
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Combine olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small dish.
-Spray a 13x9 inch dish with cooking spray.
-Add potatoes and carrots and toss well with ½ of the basil mixture.
-Bake for 18 minutes.
-Meanwhile, toss the zucchini, peppers, and onion with the other ½ of the basil mixture.
-Stir into the potatoes and carrots and bake for another 18 minutes.
-Enjoy!

The healthy!

Question of the Day?
What is your favorite vegetarian dish?

I love grilled veggies! It must be something with the way the grill brings out an amazing flavor in these beauties. 

Want more health and fitness tips for FREE?! Sign up at:

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=302442


2 comments:

  1. Agreed! I also think grilled fruit over a salad with syrupy balsamic is amazing. And, flexitarian is the perfect way to sum me up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo grilled fruit? That sounds spectacular! Any particular way in which you prepare it?

      Delete