Thursday, February 14, 2013

Guilt-Free Grasshopper Pie

I have a confession to make...I love cannot live without sweets. It's bad, I know, I know...but I figure I better live my life to the fullest and not deprive myself of the things that I truly love! Since I adore my chocolate, I workout daily to compensate for that passion and consumption of dreamy dark chocolate. And what's better than just plain ol' semi-sweet morsels? How about the combination of dark chocolate and mint. Yum.


From that mixture mentioned above one can safely assume that I like mint chocolate chip ice cream. That right there combines not one or two but three of my favorite tastes in life! So when I came across this recipe I just knew that I had to give it a whirl! And what better day to try it out than on Valentine's Day? So off to the store I went and picked up the ingredients. This recipe tastes as if it is packed with hundreds and hundreds of calories and fat. However, I further reduced the calories by using Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk instead of skim milk and a 100 Calorie Oreo pack instead of chocolate cookies. The end result? Pure decadence.


Guilt-Free Grasshopper Pie
1 package of 100 Calorie Oreos
1 package (1 oz) sugar-free pistachio instant pudding mix
1 1/2 cups cold, unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract
2 containers fat-free whipped topping (like Cool Whip), thawed
2 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped

The ingredients!

Directions
-Remove 4 Oreos from package and set aside.
-Crush the remaining Oreos and spread evenly on the bottom of a 9 inch pie tin that has been covered with cooking spray.
-In a large mixing bowl add almond milk, pudding powder, and extract. Beat for 2 minutes with a whisk.
-Stir in whipped topping and chopped chocolate chips.
-Spread mixture in the pie dish over the crushed Oreos.
-Top with remaining 4 Oreos that have been cut in half (should have a total of 8).
-Freeze for 6 hours, or until firm.
-Pre-consumption, thaw for 10 minutes before cutting (I enjoyed it best after microwaving it for 10 seconds!)
-Bon apetit!

Guilt-Free Grasshopper Pie
It is very difficult to describe how delicious this dessert is. It tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream but in pie form! The average Grasshopper Pie has over 350 calories! With a few simple substitutions I reduced this count by half. So whether you are looking for a refreshing dessert for you and your significant other, need something sweet to bring to a party, or want to impress your family and friends, this may be the pie for you!

Question of the Day

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

Personally, I do not like Valentine's Day at all; it's simply a Hallmark Holiday. All I need on this day in mid-February is a funny card...but some dark chocolate and wine couldn't hurt either...

This is the only Valentine I need! (Ashley Hughes Photography)
 

Want more health and fitness tips for FREE?! Sign up at:

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=302442


8 comments:

  1. YUM! We are loving this recipe for guilt free grasshopper pie! Have a great weekend! -The Six Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is this a yummy dessert, but it's also extremely easy to make!

      Delete
  2. Whoa - that sounds amazing! can i come over? hehe!

    it's always fun to "meet" another runner!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! Yes, I agree it's great to meet others who share the same passion!

      Delete
  3. Yum! That looks amazing. Ill have to try the recipe sometime :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    storiesofkel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! My parents couldn't get enough of it!

      Delete
  4. I love grasshopper pie and all of its variations! I would love to try this healthier version. I was actually just thinking this morning about using some of the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies I bought to make a grasshopper pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite delicious crumbled into the mixture!

      Delete