Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy Birthday America!

This Independence Day our nation turned 236 years old.


Naturally, I couldn't think of any better way to celebrate than with yummy food!

Since I knew I would be eating quite the feast, I wanted to enjoy my food without guilt. So in the morning I had a nice workout with my mom at the YMCA where we did 1 full hour of cardio blasting moves. Let's just say we were well deserving of some scrumptious picnic food!

My mom and me at the Grand Canyon!

But before working out I knew that I had to honor America right away and have some festive Birthday Cake Oatmeal that I slightly adapted from here along with one three Cups of Joe of course.

It was superb.

Perfect for celebrating a red, white, and blue day!

Once the sweating commenced upon working out the festive foods began to appear. One picnic staple that is always at a party is coleslaw. However, coleslaw is usually saturated in high fat and caloric mayo. I never ate coleslaw before I had my mom's since I couldn't get past the fact of all that mayo. A single tablespoon of mayo has 90 calories and 10g of fat. That's only one tablespoon, a full recipe usually calls for 1 full cup! Yikes. Yet with a few simple swaps, our version is much lighter, healthier, and tastier.

Skinny Slaw

Both of these recipes are winners for sure and a great way to honor America.

Funfetti Birthday Cake Oatmeal
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup water
1 Tbsp Funfetti cake mix
Splash of pure vanilla extract
Sprinkles
The ingredients!

Directions
-In a small pot, bring the water to a boil.
-Add the oats, give it a quick stir, and reduce the heat to low.
-After 2 minutes add the vanilla. Stir.
-Cook 3 more minutes and right before transferring the oatmeal to a bowl, stir in the cake mix.
-Top with sprinkles
Best bowl of birthday oats!
Skinny Slaw
1 bag shredded coleslaw
6 oz Poppyseed Vinaigrette
2 1/2 Tbsp Light Miracle Whip
Sprinkle of Kosher salt
Sprinkle of crushed black pepper
Sprinkle of paprika 
Optional: I like to sprinkle in garlic powder as well

 
The ingredients!

Directions
-In a mixing bowl, add bagged coleslaw and crunch with hands.
-Add in salt, pepper, vinaigrette, and Miracle Whip. Stir.
-Top with paprika and the optional garlic powder.

¡Muy delicioso!

Question of the Day:

How do you celebrate Independence Day?
My family and I usually go on a walk to long bike ride which is followed by a smorgasbord of food!


Want more health and fitness tips for FREE?! Sign up at:

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=302442





No comments:

Post a Comment